by Nancy Hassel, ThisFurryLife.com
Today is the 50th Anniversary of Earth Day, April 22, 2020 – and it is ironic that our world is going through a pandemic that is actually helping heal the earth in many ways. Less traffic, less pollution, less smog over major cities, wildlife being spotted in many cities across the globe, and so on. Of course, we wish this pandemic would go away and everyone can come out of this healthy and safe – and the pandemic is not a reason we would want to see these changes occur on our planet.
So what can you do today, as a pet parent now and in the future to be more eco-friendly and keep our planet healthier? Going green is something you can make a choice to do all year long with your pets.
The natural pet product category in the pet industry has grown tremendously in the last decade and now many pet product manufacturers are offering: earth-friendly; sustainable; biodegradable; products that are locally sourced; and some are even using packaging that breakdowns naturally or are made from recyclable materials. So there is really no reason you can’t make your pet a planet ambassador too. Pet parents can make the choice to go green with their pets simply by choosing products that are often healthier for their pets and better for the environment.
- Look for pet foods and treats with the official organic seal that are made in the USA, with locally sourced ingredients. If it says, manufactured in the USA – some of the ingredients may not be from the USA. Not sure? Contact the company and ask them. Using locally sourced, organic and high-quality ingredients help keep our farms sustainable!
- Recycle any of your pet food packagings properly. Dog and cat food cans and tins, plastic, and food bags can all be put in your proper recycling bins.
- While on that walk, be sure to have poop bags with you. There are many poop bag companies out there but you want to be sure to bring bags with you that are biodegradable. Personally, I like EarthRated’s poop bags – the dispenser has an easy clip to attached to your dog’s leash handle.
- Walking your dog in the park? For a hike? Seek out plant-based flea and tick spray or preventative specifically for dogs and cats. There are many great green, all-natural products that help deter mosquitos, ticks and fleas. They don’t harm the environment and they work – I have tried a few different brands over the years and they all worked great.
- There are a lot of great eco-friendly bath shampoos out there, again read the label and know what your buying. I like a few different brands, but one that makes my dog’s coat super soft and shiny is Eco Dog Care Simply Clean Shampoo.
- If you bring your dog or cat to get professionally groomed, (you know when we can do that again), ask them about what products that they use: are they earth-friendly, natural and safe for your pet’s coat.
- Many companies are now starting to make pet toys from organic materials that are free from harsh dyes and chemicals (that they could ingest while chewing or playing with toys).
- Organic catnip. That’s right, while your cat is bouncing off the walls enjoying their catnip – you can feel even better about it knowing it’s organic.
Easy Green Pet Tips for every day:
- Wash old blankets, towels, comforters, and donate to your local animal shelter.
- Adopt a pet from your local animal shelter – a way to help a pet who has been recycled. (Now is the time as you’re sitting at home, foster or adopt!)
- Seek out holistic veterinary care for your pet.
- Use reusable dog water bottles when bringing fresh water with you for your dog.
- Donate or recycle pet magazines that you are no longer reading.
- While out walking your dog if you see garbage, pick it up and dispose of properly, pick up one piece of garbage every day.
- Look for pet retailers that cater to eco-friendly pet products and services.
Think about your choices and how they will help your local environment and your pet be eco-conscious all year long.